Pages Menu
TwitterFacebook
Categories Menu

Our Story

Map evidence suggests that before 1787 Catrine was the area by the River Ayr at the end of modern-day St.Cuthbert Street. Down in the holm, in the area where Mill Square is today, was a small hamlet called Daldorch consisting of a smithy, a corn mill and a few other cottages, and important for fans of Robert Burns Nether Catrine House where the poet ¬†dinnnered with a Lord. ¬†When Arkwright’s team hit town and began building a massive cotton works all hell let loose and this sleepy hamlet would never be the same. Construction took place between 1787 and 1789. A dam was built across the River Ayr and a mill lade cut round the side of the hill to take water to the new twist mill. At the same time much of the housing of the old village of Catrine was built (St.Cuthbert Street, Mill Square, St.Germain Street and so on).

Today Catrine benefits from all the infrastructure that was created in the 18th century to build the water powered cotton mill, as the voes and surrounding river has been preserved into a nature reserve creating enjoyable country walks. Also when standing on the bridge at St Germain Street looking down at the river one can see the high brick walls that were built enabling the level of the river to always be safe from flooding. With the advent of global warming this has been made so important when we witness the problems that Cumbria has experienced over the last year.